Monday, March 25, 2013

Chicken & Veggie Pita

Chicken & Veggie Pita
by Emma Roe @ Of Sparrows & Butterflies 

This is one of the best tasting healthy lunches I have ever made, even hubby loved it! The pita part is not homemade but I'm hoping sometime soon to start making my own. 
What you need: 
Pita's
Skinless, Boneless, Chicken Breast
Sweet Red Peppers 
Purple Onion
Baby Spinach
Cheese

Start by sauteing the onions in butter( i used 1 small onion but I was only making lunch for me and hubby). Cut the chicken into strips or cubes and and add to the onions. Stir every few minutes.  Let the chicken cook until there is no pink left! I used 3 chicken breasts and it took 15 minutes to cook through. 
Cut your peppers ( I used 2) into strips or cubes as well. Make sure there are no seeds from the peppers. Add them to the chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking. 
Last add the spinach and cheese (as much as you like) to the chicken mix. Scoop into the pita and serve warm. For best taste, don't let the spinach be in the warm chicken for to long. For this recipe its best to be crisp(same with the peppers). 

There is so much you can do with this to make it how you like! First, you can use any onion you like, use any sweet pepper you like, your favorite kind of cheese, and any pita you want. I used Organic Whole Wheat Pitas with Honey. 

This is also a great recipe to make as a freezer meal! Make the chicken mix with the onion and sweet pepper and freeze that way. Then when you take it out of the freezer all you have to do is warm it up and add spinach and cheese. 

You probably noticed that I didn't use any seasoning on the chicken. This was a last minute choice to see if the flavor from everything else would be enough. I am so glad I tried it this way! You can add any seasoning you like but this way has plenty of flavor for me! 

The prep took about 5 minutes and cooking time about 15 minutes. 
With what I used above I had enough for Hubby and I to have a very big lunch for two days!


Leave a commit below! I would love to hear your thoughts on this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment